Sunday, February 21, 2016

Wrestling for the souls of the world

Read Psalm 16

David writes in Psalm 16 “I have no good apart from You” (v.2). God was all the world to him. This did not mean that David wasn’t thankful for his family, kingship, and other blessings. It simply meant that God Himself is incomparably greater than any of His gifts—that He was the all-sufficient, all-satisfying joy, truth, and purpose of David’s life.

Many might not know it, but across the nation wrestling championships are taking place this month and early next month. I know this because a part of who I am is wrestling. And at one time, wresting was my world. I wrestled through college and a bit beyond. Went on to coach, lead camps etc... Through it all, I got close but never achieved what I thought I needed in order to fulfill who I thought I was.

What I did achieve though, was to realize that faith is like wrestling. We have to have heart in order to succeed for everyday we come face to face with turmoil, pain and contention. Everyday Satan seeks to pin our hearts to the mat of discontent, hopelessness and unjoy. But like David, if we are willing to wrestle with the One who is life, we will come to find all we truly need.

Truth is, in wrestling with Jesus I found my heart, my joy, my hope, my strength. I found myself by finding the glory of His grace. Yes, when Jesus saw me finally let go and let Him be my everything it was then that He lifted me up so as to give me His everything.

Everyday Jesus cries out to us to let Him be our everything. Everyday the Spirit wrestles with my heart so as to awaken it to Jesus in order that He might be my refuge, “my chosen portion and my cup” (v5).

Everyday we need to step further into the heart of Jesus by surrendering to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Jesus tells us that apart from Him, we can do nothing (Jn 15.5). This is the very truth David was pouring out in Psalm 16 – God must be our refuge, He must be where we find identity, where we find our everything.

Let us this day wrestle with the darkness by wrestling with the Crown of the Cross. Yes, let us embrace the Spirit so as to embrace the heart of Christ. For when our heart steps into the heart of Christ so as to know Him we come to know ourselves. For it is from Christ, through the Spirit, that we find our identity. And in finding ourselves in Christ we find the strength to begin wrestling for the souls of the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Wine Uncorked: Trinitarian Soundings - God is Here…And?

#love #trinity #jesus #holyspirit #father #newwine #nwnws #trinitarian #faith #church How does a Trinitarian, Christ-centered theology play ...