Friday, November 30, 2012

Elected to Chill with Jesus?


Been thinking a lot about the idea of election - I mean how could I not with all that has transpired over the last month, right?! What is more, I am teaching a Christian Theology class these days, and the topic of election is a hot button - everyone wants to know, am I the elect? Yes I have a doctorate in theology, but I hate to burst every one's bubble, I do not know who is predestined for heaven...Well I take that back, my theology says that I do know who the elect is...it is Jesus!

Those who are in Christ are the elect. That is what Paul writes in Ephesians - "Just as He chose us in Him" (Eph 1.4). Seems fairly straight forward, be let's be real, the idea of election is somewhat easy to understand with politics but with regards to faith - well that can be a different story...

Does our Godhead (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) invite all of us to dine at the blessed feast of the saints? Are we all elected to eat at the table with the Savior? Does Matthew 24 point to the reality that all of humanity are the intended beneficiaries of the death of Christ in the same way? 

And then, in my very Farlow way, I push the envelope even further...Am I good enough to chill with Jesus? Would He consider me His homeboy? I have to believe that a lot of good people have died and will die who did not know Jesus Christ as their Savior - so what of them? 

So what is the skinny on this whole issue? Tell us Dr Farlow, what is the real issue of election? Okay, (and I tell you this in strictest confidence - don't let my students know what I am about to tell you!) I do not believe the concept of election has to be an issue. The cross is the place where God says yes to all of humanity. Because of the redemptive - the salvific - performance of Christ, humanity is chosen - we are all elected for salvation. The question is, will we accept such a gift? As the Bible purports, from eternity, God decided to acquit humanity at great cost to Himself (Romans 5.8).

The drama of salvation is the drama of God's own life, made real in revelation. This is a genuine drama with harrowing crises and pivotal turning points - a drama whose outcome makes a real difference in God's being God. Grace is eternally real in the life of God and it is being played out on the world's stage in a way that allows for all to realize we are the elect. The question of election really rests in your answer to Jesus' question, "who do you say I am?" (Matt. 16.15)

So who do you say Jesus is? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Wine Uncorked: Trinitarian Soundings - God is Here…And?

#love #trinity #jesus #holyspirit #father #newwine #nwnws #trinitarian #faith #church How does a Trinitarian, Christ-centered theology play ...